Posted:Oct 5, 2016
- Vlad Chituc in The Cubit, “What Penis Theft Tells Us About Belief, Culture, and Our Brains”
- Frank Bures, “Running Circles around Us: East African Olympians’ Advantage May Be More Than Physical”
- Frank Bures, “On the Body as Machine: Thinking of our bodies as machines has led to a militaristic approach to healthcare, which may not produce the best possible outcomes.”
- Kelly McGonigal, The Upside of Stress: Why Stress Is Good for You, and How to Get Good at It
- Michael Gazzaniga, Who’s in Charge?: Free Will and the Science of the Brain
- Fabrizio Benedetti, Placebo Effects: Understanding the mechanisms in health and disease
- Daniel E. Moerman, Meaning, Medicine and the “Placebo Effect”
- Reply All “Making Friends” episode on tulpas
- Nathan Thompson on tulpas, “The Internet’s Newest Subculture Is All About Creating Imaginary Friends”
- T. M. Luhrmann on tulpas, “Conjuring Up Our Own Gods”
MeaningofLife.tv | Oct 5, 2016 | Vlad Chituc & Frank Bures
Journalist Daniel Engber and psychologist Robert Kurzban discuss recent failures to replicate well-known findings.
Howard Axelrod, author of The Point of Vanishing, explains how two years alone in the woods changed the way he sees the world.
The Wright Show
Robert Wright and philosopher Matthew Liao raise ethical questions about using biotech to make better soldiers. Plus: Get cat vision, save the planet.
Journalist Tony Ortega talks about the literal and metaphorical bars that keep people in Scientology. Plus: The sci-fi religion.
The Wright Show
Philosopher David Wallace on the many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics. Plus: Taking quantum physics personally.
Psychologist Ellen Langer explains her research on the physical effects of mindfulness. Plus: How to make your dog love you more.